Gumyoji Temple is located in the southern Yokohama city. It is a typical city temple but it is one of the oldest temples in Yokohama city. The main worshiped deity in this temple is called Gumyoji Kannon.
The temple can be reached by taking Keikyu railway (Keihin Kyuko) to Gumyoji Station. If you are a traveling on Japan Railway trains and need to get to this station, transfer to Keikyu railway at JR Yokohama station. The Gumyoji temple is a few minute walk from Gumyoji station.
Gumyoji Kannon temple is number 14 temple in the Bando (33 Kannon temples of Kanto region) pilgrimage circuit.
Gumyoji Temple Seal
The main worship hall (Hondo) of Gumyoji temple was originally constructed in the Heian period.
It is said that this hall was officially opened on the 10th March of year 1044 and to have been built by a saint by the name of Kei Hiroshi. This Hondo has since been reconstructed in 1766 by Saint Tomomitsu Shonin. Most of the original artifacts from the Heian era were still used during this reconstruction.
Eleven faced (JuIchiMen) Gumyoji Kannon
The Kannon statue was carved when the original hondo was built (mid Heian period). Because of the age and historical significance this Kannon statue is designated as an important cultural asset of the Japan. At the main entrance of the temple a Jizo statue was erected in June of 2001 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of establishment of the Keikyu Electric Express Railway Company.
This temple belongs to the Koyasan Shingon sect of Buddhism.